Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Deep Breaths

"this is what you shall do:
love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants (tyranny...), argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your every flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.."
-Walt Whitman



This weekend I got knocked flat on my back by a ragin February-style cold. Besides the lovely constipation/diahhrea cyles that Ive grown accustomed to, I had a fever, which doesnt happen to me very often. Moussa and friends were so kind but I spent pretty much the entire weekend in bed. Im much better now except the sniffles and fatigue. I only get sick like this once a year, and always in February. Man did I ever want some chocolate.

Needless to say, I have been absent from life for a few days. We did do some cool stuff last week that I will write about soon (and sweet photos!). There is so much to do, so many emails to respond to (please be patient with me), and so much I want to see in Dakar before we leave on Sunday.
Im feeling a little overwhelmed.

3 comments:

casam said...

You have no right to feel overwhelmed in Africa :P

Also, I'm glad you're not sick anymore. I would have wanted chocolate, too, but I'm wondering if at those markets that you get your fresh mango etc. if there are chocolate stands?

Or maybe even a cacao plant you can pick the beans off and just nibble?

There will be chocolate somewhere there. Don't you worry your pretty little head :)

Praying for you, love you!

autumn brooke said...

1. im in love with that poem and just might steal/borrow it from you.
2. oh no sweet cheeks! sickness=BAD! not fun. i am praying for you right now and know that i pray for you each morning when i walk up the hill behind my apartment to go to class. seriously.. i do.
3. they dont have chocolate?! i side with casam and believe there is or else the women in the country would be extremely angry and not pleasant as you describe them. maybe they simply sell bricks of chocolate for you to chop up! huzzah! look into it. hmm maybe i will do some research for you. i'll get back to you on that one :)
love.

molly rae said...

I love walt and his beautiful poetry.
I Love you and all that you're doing for the world.
Don't be skrd... it'll all work out in time and on its own time.
I pray for you daily, so feel the work of the spirit because at least three of your friends are doing so :)