Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Things I am thankful for this year...

You.
I am thankful for everything here and there. I am thankful that I get to spend this day in Africa, in the 90 degree heat. Thankful for loving family and friends. Thankful for grace, love, and faith. For interesting, organized classes. Health, life, safety, motivation, and energy. For normal poops. Fruit. Skype. Exercise. Sunshine. Autumn and sweaters and chai tea. Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow. Christian community. Financial provision. My jobs in Madison and my co-workers. My amazing roomates, past and present. LB. Gei-gei. Schmoopy and Dad. Libraries that actually allow you to check out books. Im thankful for the guys Ive dated that have treated me with respect and patience. For online enrollment of classes. For Madison in general, especially State and Willy streets. Nescafé. Promenades. Teranga. Cheap taxis. Reminders of God ringing from the mosques. Arabic, French, Wolof, English, and Tagolog. Cebbu jen, attayah, maffe, and ngalaax. Mangoes, oh baby. My senegalese brothers, Moussa and Mactar. Marriage proposals. My married friends, my single friends, and my ¨its complicated ¨friends. Big-ass cockroaches. Downtown and little villages. Electricity. The sound of waves crashing against the shore in a huge and beautiful roar. Surfing. The anticipation of Morocco. Swimming in warm blue water. SPF 70. Im thankful for my Grandma. Running water at all times. Not shaving my legs. Conversation. Magnum ice cream bars. The Batcave. Buddhist guru monks. Men who teach boys how to be men. Weekends without plans. Acta Pulgite, the cure for diarrhea. Pictionnary Down the Lane. Bucket Showers. Magueyé and Omar. Im thankful for hot plates and potable water. Malerone. Getting packages in the mail! Cell phones and technology. Thankful for happy memories and photographs. Loving till it hurts.

Im thankful for what has been, what will be, and what is happening right now. There is so much past inside my present.
Im thankful that Im realizing what to be thankful for, in the grand scheme of my life.

You are so loved.

3 comments:

Daniel Pernik said...

Thank you for you, Catherine! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for you. Love ya.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Catherine, you blow me away. You are such an amazing person. The world is a better place because you are in it. I think about you often! love, ann