Sunday, December 2, 2007

There are things that drift away like Our Endless Numbered Days

Cool things Ive realized (again) this week:

Brew chai tea really strongly and add it to vanilla yogurt with banana slices = glorious improvisation. You have to get really creative with food here in Senegal.

Iron and Wine is incredible.

Im going to miss the people here. One of Jills roomates, Fatou Favorite, finished her exams on Thursday and we cried as we walked her to the cab. And its only been 1 month.

Soirees here are hilarious. Everyone gets dressed up and walks to the cafeteria around 1:30 am, where the lights are low and the disco ball is glowing. There are about 15 guys for every girl. There is a mix of traditional senegalese music and hip hop and everybody is dripping sweat and dancing like crazy. This is the only time when you are allowed to and expected to dress like a Say-say, or flirt. People leave around 6 am.

Humility is so important. I need to work on this.

Its harder to get to Morocco than I thought. And its only 2 countries away.

If a girl wants to spend a night with her boyfriend, she says that shes going to ¨visit her uncle¨. Sex happens here, but its almost never discussed.

Along these lines, theres very little privacy and few places to be alone here. Solitude is not a Senegalese value- if you desire to be alone, you are considered to be either sick or depressed. On monday; I spent an hour walking around campus for an hour just looking for a place to sit and write and read and pray and meditate for my weekly Monday Night Cath Time. I found a little boutique where I could buy a cup of coffee and sit at a plastic table, but then I was hassled by men the whole time until I pretended to not be able to speak French.

Even if you want to do schoolwork here, you cant really. Youre not allowed to check books out of the library and its only open for 8 hours a day. I have a paper due next wednesday; but theres only one copy of the book we have to read for 40 students. I have an exam on the 14th, but I have no idea what most of the notes say. At least my brain is moving now.

Christmas traditions are lovely. Family traditions are so important. Im so glad my family has ours.

Im so grateful for my parents and their organization. I CANNOT imagine my life without them.

Psalm 90 is so sweet. It describes my desires of my life:
90:12 - Teach me to number my days aright, that I may gain a heart of wisdom.
90:14 - Satisfy me in the morning with your unfailing love; that I may sing for joy and be glad all my days.
90:17 - May the beauty of the Lord rest upon me. Establish the work of my hands for me - yes, establish the work of my hands.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Humility is the only virtue that Benjamin Franklin claimed he never mastered. So even if you're not humble, at least you're in good company.