Saturday, March 1, 2008

Celebrating the Little Things

HAPPY MARCH!

Last night I had a little party in my room to celebrate the end of Februrary. I made popcorn Senegal-style (instead of butter and salt, sprinkle powdered milk and sugar) and bought some Africa cola and invited my proches. I wrote Best Wishes for everyone there and had them choose out of a bowl. Stuff like, ¨I wish you a husband/wife rich like President Abdoulaye Wade...and more gorgeous...if that's possible.¨, ¨I wish you great health, even if you eat at the resto.¨, ¨ I wish you lots of happiness, lots of peace, lots of joy, and lots and lots of mouton!¨ and ¨I wish you enough children to form a soccer team like l'equipe national de Senegal¨. It was nice to have the laughter and joy all around, and the anticipation of something new.

It's not such a big deal that a new month is starting, but celebrating the little things, anticipating events - no matter how insignificant- really spices things up a bit. Besides, it's always great to have an excuse to lighten up a bit. I guess this all fits into my ¨Quality not Quantity¨ 2008 mantra. I seem to be recognizing the value in little things more: birds singing like the birds at my Grandpa Joe's house during my youth, naps, African sunsets, learning a new word and using it properly, Moroccan wine and a piece of dark chocolate, french fries at the Resto instead of rice, short lines at the post office, books in English. Mmmm, baby! Life is sweet.

It was also good to celebrate because yesterday I had an exam in poli sci...which I decided to take literally 30 seconds before the start of the exam. I may have to drop this particular class still because I have too many credits this semeser, but I decided to take the 3 hour exam on a whim...I wasn't doing anything else that afternoon and if nothing else it would be good practice. Yup, pretty sure I went down in flames. I have no idea what the professor was looking for. Even after he explains, its still unclear, and this crazy French system doesnt really leave room for pulling from outside knowledge. Hah, I sighted Samuel Huntington and Fernando Hernique Cardoso! This coming week I have 3 exams...1 oral exam and two 4-hour mothers. Then the next week i have 2 more exams. Pray.

My prayer for ¨from now on¨...

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I hope that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
-Thomas Merton, Thoughts on Solitude

1 comment:

autumn brooke said...

thank you for that. such a good reminder to celebrate the little things. happy march and here's a toast to looking onward to greater things yet ahead!